You have been growing in my for almost 36 weeks now. I'll never forget the day I found out you were in there. Daddy had already gone down to the football party at our local bar. The last day the place was open. I stayed behind because I was finishing unpacking all of my stuff and getting organized as I had just moved in here about 3 weeks before that. For about a week I had been feeling a little 'off' and a few other things weren't exactly meshing either. At first I just chalked it up to the stress of moving and starting a new job and getting over a nasty sinus infection. But I knew I'd be partaking in some adult beverages so I thought I better just be safe. I made a quick trip to the drug store and with shaking hands came back home for the longest two minute wait of my life. Before the two minutes was up, I already had my answer. I was expecting a little miracle.
I calmed down, called Aunt Halley (who didn't answer, which in the end was a good thing cause I got to tell her in a much better way) and paced all around the house. Daddy was expecting me down at the party so I got in the car, stick in hand, and drove down there. I asked him to come walk me in when I got there and he thought it was quite strange behavior from me but as he always does, he did what would make me happy. He got in the car and I pulled out the stick to show him. Shock would be an understatement. But he was also so completely excited. We knew we wanted a little baby of our own some day, we just weren't quite sure when. Turns out, you knew when much better than we did. We kept it a secret from all of our friends until we could get into the doctor. It was one of the most magical nights I've ever had with Daddy. We had this amazing secret of knowing that our love created a little life and just a tiny glance at each other reminded us of this secret. I think both of us could have bursted out of our skin that night.
To say that this whole time has been that magical would be a total lie. And don't worry, I plan on keeping that in my bag of arsenal for when you are a teenager and are positive you hate me. ;) You've been given some very interesting nicknames during this time. My favorite (and Grandma Bobbi's least favorite) is blood sucking gremlin. See, you have made mommy one sick puppy this whole time. But it's ok, that means that you are healthy and I wasn't in danger of losing you.
I can't tell you that I'm in love with you yet. I don't even know who you are. But what I can tell you is that I think about you all day every day and dream about you at night. I can't wait to meet you and get to know the person that you'll be. I can't wait to touch you and hold you and smell you. To watch you sleep and to see you cry your pitiful little cry. To watch Daddy hold his little girl and see you wrap him around your little finger just as your two older sisters have.
Oh yeah, and about your older sisters. They can't wait to meet you. Victoria already calls you her Reesey Piecey. It is quite adorable and melts my heart every time. She always asks where your head is so she can kiss you through my belly. She's going to be an amazing big sister and such a helper to me. And Gabby, well is just Gabby. You know the day they found out you'd be joining our family she was very quick to offer that you could share her bed with her. And though she quickly changed her tune when I mentioned you may cry all night, I know she'll share her bed with you if you ever needed it.
I have so many hopes and dreams for you already. Just like any other parent, I wish even better for you than I ever had. I hope to show you the immeasurable amount of love that Grandma and Grandpa showed to me. I hope that you feel comfortable in your own skin and grow to be a woman your own children will admire some day. I won't always be your best friend, but I promise I will be your biggest supporter and protector.
You are my little bug, my little gremlin. I know some day soon I will need to share you with the rest of the world. But for right now, you are mine alone and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love you more than there are stars in the sky.
Love always and forever,
Mommy
2 comments:
Becky, this brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl. She has an amazing Mama. :-)
i second jen's tears.
you are going to be a GREAT mommy (you already are) and I can't wait to see pictures of her!!
Post a Comment